Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Notary Services

The American Citizen Services Unit provides notarial services during normal working hours by appointment only. Appointments must be made online at the ACS Appointment System Website. Please click here to make an appointment.

Notarial services provided by the Embassy are primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents. Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States.

Notarial services provided include;

Notarial services we cannot provide include;

What you'll need to bring...

For us to notarize your documents, you must:

  • Have government-issued photo ID;
  • Understand your document. We are not allowed to explain the contents to you;
  • Complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive (but don't sign it; you'll sign it at the Embassy in front of a Consul);
  • Pay the appropriate fee (see below). We accept cash payments in U.S. dollars or Thai baht or credit cards. We do not accept checks.
  • If your document requires the presence of witnesses in addition to the notarization, you must supply these witnesses. Our staff cannot act as witnesses.
  • We can only provide notary services for American citizens, legal permanent residents, their spouses and dependents, or when the documents to be notarized will be used in the United States. We are usually unable to notarize documents brought in by foreign nationals to be used outside of the U.S.

Please be aware that the consular officer may refuse any notary service when:

  • The host country does not authorize the performance of the service,
  • The document will be used in transactions that may be prohibited by U.S. law,
  • The officer believes that the document will be used for a purpose that is unlawful, improper, or inimical to the best interests of the United States, or
  • The officer does not understand the document, due to language, the documents are incomplete , or any other reason.


An affidavit is a sworn statement. Affidavits may be used in many different situations for many different purposes. Using our blank affidavit form (PDF 36KB), you can write out almost any statement you may wish to make. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of a Consul.

For specific types of affidavits that we typically provide, please see below.

Fee: $50 for each affidavit.

Income Affidavit

The Thai government requires all U.S. citizens with Thai retirement visas to verify their income when they renew their retirement visa annually. Please print out this income affidavit (PDF 23KB) form to complete by hand or complete this income affidavit online then print it out.  Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the American Citizen Services Unit.  You will need to sign it in front of a designated officer.

Fee: $50

Affidavit that you are legally free to marry

Thai law requires all foreigners who marry in Thailand, whether they are marrying other foreigners or Thai nationals, to first prepare a sworn Affidavit of Marriage: Marriage Affidavit (PDF 42KB). Then, the affidavit(s) must be notarized by their own country's embassy, affirming that they are legally free to marry. You can find out more about requirements for getting married in Thailand.

Fee: $50

Thai Driver's License Affidavit

Print and fill out the Thai Driver's License Affidavit (PDF 73KB).  Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of a ConsulFor more information on obtaining a Thai Driver's License.

Fee: $50

International Driver's License

Print and fill out the International Driver's License Affidavit (PDF 41KB). Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of a Consul.

For more information on obtaining an International Driver's License.

Fee: $50

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal actions on your behalf. A common example of this is empowering someone else to buy or sell property in the U.S. in your name while you are overseas. We cannot advise you on the specific language or content of a power of attorney, so you may wish to consult a lawyer or other appropriate advisor before coming to see us to have your power of attorney notarized.

Blank Power of Attorney forms are available online (PDF 34KB), or you may use one supplied to you by your attorney, bank, or company.

Please fill out the form before you come to our offices, but do not sign it in advance. You will sign in the presence of a Consul.

Fee: $50 for each Power of Attorney.

Acknowledgement of Signature

An Acknowledgement of Signature or Acknowledgement of Execution is a notary which verifies that a particular person signed a given document. It is often used for legal agreements, business documents, etc. It is also used when more than two signatures are required on the document but all of the parties who must sign are not present. We can notarize (or acknowledge) only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of us or appear in front of us and verify that they have signed the document.

Fee: $50 for each document or seal.

Authentication of Royal Thai Government Officials' Signatures

U.S Consular Officers in Thailand may authenticate Thai public documents for use in the United States if the documents bear the seal of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Please bring the document to our office and we will provide this service.

Fee: $50 for eachauthentication.

Authentication of Vital Records, Academic, Commercial or Other Credentials Issued in the U.S.

U.S. Consular officers are not empowered to authenticate public documents issued in the United States. Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials. Consular officers do not have access to the records of the issuing office or the seal of the custodian of these records.

For more information on Procedures for Authentication and Legalizing Official Documents Issued in the United States.

For more information on Authentication of Documents, Apostilles, or Copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, or Divorce Records, please consult the Department of State Travel site.

Certification of True Copies of Documents

We often get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, our offices cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them. For more information, please consult the Department of State Travel site.

Signature (or "Medallion") Guarantees

Medallion signature guarantees are often required by U.S. banks or mutual fund companies. Unfortunately, we cannot legally perform a signature guarantee.

A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). U.S. consular officers are not authorized to provide a signature guarantee/medallion guarantee service.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission may be contacted directly via the internet website, via phone at 1-800-SEC-0330 (investor assistance and complaints), via fax at 202-942-7040, or by mail at Mail Stop 11-2, 450 Fifth Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20549.



Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free
    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.