Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage.   For American citizens marrying either Thai citizens or another American citizen, the procedure is the same.  For Americans marrying a third-country national, their prospective spouse must also follow a similar procedure with their own embassy.


  1. Complete an affidavit at the U.S. Embassy. The affidavit form, available in our office or you may download a copy of the form here (PDF 42KB), includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy. The notarial fee is $50 per seal.  Make an appointment for a notarial.
  2. Have the notarized affidavit translated.  List of translators in the Bangkok area (PDF 50KB). 
  3. Take the affidavit and translation to:

    Legalization Division
    Department of Consular Affairs
    Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road
    Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok
    Tel: 02-575-1057-8, Fax: 02-575-1054
  4. Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:
  • Your U.S. passport;
  • Identification for the other party, such as a Thai citizen's identification card; 
    If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents with Thai translation);
  • If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated.  Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free
    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.