The consular section at U.S. Embassy Bangkok provides visa services for any individual who is physically present in Thailand. If you live in Chiang Mai or its surroundings, you may interview for nonimmigrant visas in Chiang Mai.
The Embassy strongly encourages intending travelers to apply for visas well in advance of their proposed travel, and always to refrain from making irrevocable travel plans until they have received their passports with visas. Please note that there are no visa appointments on Thai and U.S. holidays.
For information regarding medical emergencies and expedited appointment requests, please go to the Expedited Visa Appointments page.
Nonimmigrant Visa Application Procedures
- Go to www.ustraveldocs.com/th. Review the general information on how to apply for a U.S. visa and the requirements for each visa category.
- Complete your DS-160 online application form (each individual requires his/her separate DS-160). You will need to print out the DS-160 confirmation page after you have submitted it online (required for the interview).
- Create your profile using your personal email address on www.ustraveldocs.com/th
- Be sure to supply all the required personal information: your passport number, name, date of birth, visa type, DS-160 application ID, etc. Please note that your name MUST be exactly the same as it is written in your passport and that you must include any other names you have used.
- Pay for the visa fee in Thai baht either by Electronic Fund Transfer OR pay in cash directly at a Krungsri Bank. If you pay cash, you MUST print your CGI Cash deposit slip and bring it with you to the bank – without this slip, the bank will not accept the fee.
- Once the fee has been paid, you will receive an email from the system after 12:00 of the following business day (if paid by cash) or in 2 business days (if paid via online banking) notifying you that the system is ready to schedule your appointment. You should log back in to your profile and schedule an interview at any available time.
- Once you schedule an interview appointment, print your appointment confirmation page (required for the interview).
- Come to the Embassy for an interview. You need following documents.
- Appointment confirmation letter
- DS-160 confirmation page
- Current passport and all previous passports that you have
- One visa photo (2X2 inches with white background)
- Any documents required by your visa category, if any (e.g., I-20, DS-2019, etc.)
- Supporting evidence for your visa category, if any
Forbidden Items and Entry Regulations
NO backpacks, suitcases, or large bags/handbags
NO laptops, tablets or MP3 players
NO cameras, electronic chargers and ear plugs
More restricted items
Only visa applicants with confirmed appointments will be granted access on to the Embassy compound. Accompanying persons are required to wait outside the Embassy entrance.
If you fail to follow these security requirements you may face delays or cancellations to your visit.
95 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Call Center representatives will be available:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (excluding holidays)
Local telephone: 02-105 4110; from the U.S. (703)-665-7349